Dental Implants: The Best Missing Tooth Solution
Posted by Dr. Puffer on Feb 2 2021, 06:12 AM
Would you choose to live with a missing tooth and keep a toothpick in your pocket at all times or get an artificial tooth and live care-free?
If you chose the latter option, then this blog post is just for you!
Fixing a broken or missing tooth is essential to ensure overall dental health. Getting a dental implant can solve this issue in no time. It is one of the most recommended procedures to repair missing, broken, or damaged teeth.
You can opt for implants if you have the following issues:
- A tooth decay
- Root canal failure
- Gum disease (Periodontitis)
- Trauma to the mouth (tooth injury)
- Excessive wear and tear
- Congenital flaw
The process involved in tooth implant
- An implant looks like a screw and is placed into your jaw. Worry not, the dentist won't use a screwdriver! They will take care of the surrounding teeth and use an appropriate tool to fix your teeth!
- After placing the implant, you will have to wait for the next two to six months for the next step. This period is necessary to allow your bone and implant to bond together to form an anchor for your artificial tooth.
- However, to cover the implant site, the dentist might suggest you wear a temporary tooth replacement.
- The second step involves the addition of an extension. It requires uncovering of the implant.
- The temporary healing cap becomes the foundation on which the new tooth is placed.
- After these steps, gentle care of the gum is suggested. In a couple of weeks, the gum will heal.
- In the final step, a crown will be placed on the implant to give a natural look to your tooth.
- The crown will be attached using a small metal post called an abutment.
These are some usual steps and might differ from patient to patient. Your dentist would recommend the best procedure and implant according to your requirements.
Types of Dental Implants
- Single Tooth Implants
- Multiple Tooth Implants
- Full Mouth Dental Implants
The types are self-explanatory. You can choose which one to opt for according to your needs!
Forget the usual tooth picking every time you eat something. After getting an implant, you would not feel embarrassed anymore.