Invisalign is an orthodontic appliance backed by state-of-the-art technology and has been highly preferred in recent times. Unlike dental braces, which were the go-to orthodontic solution for many years, they are made from transparent dental-grade plastic. The walls of the aligners apply pressure on the teeth in a gentle and controlled manner, helping them move to their ideal alignment.
How is Invisalign technologically advanced?
Invisalign is a custom-fabricated oral aligner that requires precise measurements of the teeth and jawline to be made. The conventional way to do this is by using a putty-like material that you have to bite into to create a mold. But, with Invisalign, the teeth are scanned using a highly accurate, hand-held scanner, which displays the images on a chairside screen. Both the patient and the dentist can get a better idea of the malocclusion and the treatment required to correct it.
The data from the scans will be used to create a digital simulation of the teeth’ movement. The best part is that you will have an idea of how your smile will look even before the treatment is started. Multiple aligners would be used during the treatment phases, which will be fabricated to precision using the highly accurate data from the scans.
What are the advantages of Invisalign?
- Since the aligners are made from a transparent material, you can smile confidently during the treatment without being too conscious of your facial appearance.
- The aligners are metal-free and devoid of any sharp edges or corners. They prevent any injuries to the soft tissues of the mouth.
- They are just as effective as dental braces. There are various types of Invisalign available, which are dedicated to treating various severities of malocclusion.
- They are removable. The aligners can easily be taken off whenever you have to eat, brush the teeth, play outdoor sports, etc.
- With Invisalign, you will not have to make any changes to your diet. You can stick to your regular diet, but make sure you clean the teeth thoroughly before putting Invisalign back on.
Usage of Invisalign
The treatment will be divided into various phases. Once every two weeks, the dentist will provide you with a new set of aligners to accommodate for the movement in the teeth. You have to wear them for at least 22 hours every day, barring the time you brush the teeth and eat food. Meaning, the aligners will have to be on even when you go to bed. You must maintain optimum oral hygiene and avoid damaging the aligners, as a change in their shape could negatively affect the treatment.
Call us at (936) 564-2439 or schedule an online appointment with Dr. Puffer at Puffer Dental in Nacogdoches for your personalized dental care.